Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Back to class...


When I decided to try making jewelry again I took a short 4-week class at Lillstreet Art Center here in Chicago.  Lillstreet is a great place!  I really enjoy the creative environment and they have a wonderful cafe on the main floor with yummy molasses cookies.  In fact, I took a picture of one of their cookies for the communal art project entitled "The Meal," organized by Art House/The Sketchbook Project in Brooklyn (2012 edition).

Previously, I took a 10-week print on glass class in the spring of 2012 and then an afternoon glass-blowing workshop to make Christmas ornaments.  I didn't really care for the print part of the print on glass, but I really loved the fusing part of making glass cabochons.  Someday I will take a full glass fusing class and make a lot more cabochons and some fire-work beads.

Though I had tried sawing metal years ago, I discovered the zen of it during this short class.  Sawing and texturing metal by hammering it are truly meditative and joyful experiences.  I remember leaving the first class feeling total bliss at being in the space and working on the metal.  Before the session was over, I signed up for a full 10-week intro class to really cover the foundations.  In this short overview class we tried a variety of techniques.  Needless to say, I was hooked!

The main piece I completed was a copper free-form pendant that I hammered, darkened with liver of sulfur, and then riveted a small oval to.  This pendant is about 2.5 inches long. 


Here's the original free-form design glued to the copper before I started sawing out the shape:


I also made several copper and one brass ring.


No comments:

Post a Comment